Monday, December 6, 2010

Under Cover Lovers

I'm sure when you saw the title of this entry your mind immediately went the "wrong way." However, I want to speak to the importance of spiritual intimacy in relationships. How sweet is it to be "under cover" by your mate? How wonderful is it to know that he/she is constantly praying for (or covering you?) 


I am of the opinion that spiritual intimacy is as important (if not more) as any physical intimacy that people in a relationship can share. Joseph Walker write a book entitled "Love & Intimacy: Five Ways to Get Together and Stay Together." In this book he breaks down the things that are important in order establish a healthy relationship and ultimately marriage. In the section called "Biblical Blueprint for Relationships" he says, "Too many people are getting into relationships with people who are not on their spiritual level." I couldn't agree with this any more! Knowing that I can spend time with God and my mate at the same time is a very wonderful feeling. It provides security. Being able to see him vulnerable with God provides peace in knowing that when he can't he knows someone who will and can. Knowing that he is mature enough to surrender to Him is comforting. Knowing that we can talk to God about each other while with each other is a form of lovemaking that can never be replaced with sex or a "worldly" attempt at satisfaction.  


While I understand that the Bible challenges us to spend personal time with God, I've always wondered why some men and women hold an affair like relationship with God. They give him traits that we would equate with a mistress. Whenever God calls they run off to a closet to talk to Him. If God does something amazing for them they don't share it with their mate. The great feelings that God plants in their spirit they keep to themselves. 


Matthew 18:20 says, "Take this most seriously: A yes on earth is yes in heaven; a no on earth is no in heaven. What you say to one another is eternal. I mean this. When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I'll be there." This also applies to relationships. Whether married or dating you are still children of God and as such when the two of you agree and pray together God begins to move in your lives collectively. We spend a lot of time planning dates, weddings, our lives, and so on with the one we love why not devote just as much energy to intimate time with God together? 


My challenge to those of you in relationships (married or otherwise) try this form of intimacy and enjoy being an "Under Cover" lover. 


Good Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
A self professed “Grace Case,” Elle is a 29 year old accomplished writer. Having written and been featured in national magazines such as Essence, her unique writing style has been said to be “thought provoking” and “more emotional than most.” She believes in being an open book and through that prays that her life experiences help others avoid the mistakes she’s made and overcome. As such, her memoir “Loving Me In Spite of Me” is filled with life lessons and coping mechanisms. Her mantra “love me or hate me… I’m me unapologetically” has helped define her writing style.